It takes a lot of work to get new clients. And then, of course, you have to know how to keep them, or all that hard work is lost. Marketing is as much about retaining your existing customers as it is about acquiring new ones.
So here are six golden rules to help you on your way:
Identify your target market
• Make sure you know exactly who you’re trying to reach.
• The more you know about your audience, the more targeted you can make your message and the more impact it will have.
• Marketing specific messages to different niches is very powerful, as you can really hone in on a specific set of problems, and offer fresh, exciting solutions.
Be clear about the unique benefits you offer
• Help your customers to understand why they should choose you over your competitors.
• What is your unique selling point (USP) and how will this benefit your customer?
• How will your product or service solve your customer’s problem?
• What’s the major problem your market faces and how can you help?
Sell to your existing customers
• You already know who they are PLUS you know that they want what you sell.
• The lifetime value of a customer should never be underestimated.
• It’s cheaper and easier to sell to your existing customers, than it is to find new customers.
• What new products can you sell to existing customers, as well as existing products to new customers?
Embrace all forms of media
Deciding which form(s) of media to use to best reach your customers will depend on who they are and where you are most likely to find them:
• Digital platforms: Websites, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), E-mailers, Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, You Tube, Google+), Adwords, etc
• Traditional forms of marketing: Direct Mail, Press Advertising, Leaflets and leave-behind Brochures,
• Print and digital can work brilliantly together and it is often when they are pulling in the same direction that the most effective campaigns are created.
Measure the effectiveness of your marketing
• What’s working and what isn’t?
• Don’t waste your time and resources on the wrong things!
• Some methods might not work out, but keep testing and trying.
• A combination of methods is most likely to bring you success.
Happy customers means healthy business!
Those who have benefited from your product or service are usually happy to help by providing a testimonial that you can use on your website and other marketing materials. These are incredibly powerful and can provide a new dimension to your business – whether in the written word or even captured on video for real authenticity.
Like what you’ve read?
Sign up to my FREE newsletter to receive more hints, tips and industry news.